THE THINGS THAT GO WRONG
OFTEN MAKE THE BEST STORIES.
This is how it all started.
The Golden Cage Syndrome
2007 – 2011
- Once upon a time I was working 9 to 5 in a big corporate. But I desperately wanted to get out! It took me 4 years and a depression to quit my job. What a relief that I’d finally found the courage to go for it.
The Clueless Freelance Life
2012 – 2011
- At the beginning of my freelance career, I worked as an inspector for floorings. I honestly had no clue what I was getting myself into. After 6 months of waiting, I finally landed my first customer. This grew my confidence. Things started to shift and
BAM! The Freelance Trap Hit Me
- After a rough start, I achieved rapid growth in my business. But I accepted the wrong projects for all the wrong reasons… One day I woke up and realized my life was a mess. I was working 24/7. Was divorced. Had no time or energy for friends, sports, …
Getting Out of The Trap
2018 – 2016
- I started to rethink my freelance life and decided that I had to move to make things actually workable. Could I organize my business from Germany without losing my existing customers (or my German girlfriend)? Yes, I could! And so I did. I founded a new company and life became even better. New international customers popped up and I even started to give workshops and lectures about the freelance
Teaching Fellow Freelancers To Move Beyond Freelancing
2018 – …
- More and more freelancers called me to discuss issues in their business. What would you do? What about this price setting? How did you achieve more freedom in your work? … I kept repeating myself over and over again. That’s why I launched ‘Beyond Freelancing’: to help fellow entrepreneurs avoid the trap and move beyond the typical freelancing lifestyle.